Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Partner

Yesterday I celebrated 7 wonderful years with my beautiful wife Lindsey.  As I look back, it is hard to believe that it has been 7 years already!  Where does the time go?  How is it that we have moved twice and had 4 beautiful children in just 7 years???  What a journey it has been.  Without a doubt the best 7 years of my life.  For that I thank you Lindsey.  You have shown me what love really is.  You have always supported me and been there for me.  This brings me to the point of my post today.  Whether in life, or in the journey to weight loss and fitness, it is imperative that we all have someone in our corner and looking out for our best interests.

Lindsey has been instrumental in my journey to better health and a changed lifestyle.  She has supported me every step of the way.  Come to find out, she had been praying and hoping for these changes years before I was ready to make them.  She recently told me that she had always wished that I would take better care of myself, but felt that it would push me away if she was upfront about it.  Instead, she prayed and waited for the right opportunities to help motivate me and support me.  Once I made that decision last October, she was on board all the way.  She helped by cooking healthy meals.  She helped by working out with me.  She helped by celebrating my successes and helping me push through my failures.  There was never a doubt that she was in my corner and doing everything in her power to help me achieve my goals.


The funny thing is, by her being there for me, it turned out I was her motivation as well!  Ever since the day I ran my first 5k this spring, she got started running and now we are both addicted!  We have pushed each other to our limits on our runs together.  It has been so fun.  There have been many times during our long runs that we will motivate each other to keep running when we otherwise would not have been able to.  There have been many times when we kept each other accountable when we had cravings for something that just wasn't worth the calories or fat.  This journey has been much easier for both of us by having the other one looking out for us.

I am not naive enough to think that everyone has a Lindsey in their life.  I know that she is one of a kind, and that I am the luckiest man in the world to have her.  But I also know that everyone has someone that is looking out for them... a spouse, a friend, a parent, a sibling, someone.  And if you don't have someone that is willing to push you to achieve your goals, find someone.  Join a gym.  Join a running club.  I promise you, there is someone out there that will help you on your journey to better health.  Find them.  And once you find that person, use them.  Let them keep you moving when you don't feel like it.  Let them keep you accountable to your own goals and aspirations.

And be the motivational force in someone else's life too!  You will never know true happiness without knowing the feeling of helping others.  It was an amazing feeling to run with my wife during her first 5k.  To see her accomplish something that she never thought could happen.  And I got to enjoy that experience again when I ran a 5k with my brother.  I have been so blessed to be "that guy" to my family.  I am the reason that my wife runs.  I am the guy that got my brother to take up running.  It is very humbling to know that I was able to make a positive impact on their lives.  The funny thing is, I don't even know what I'm doing!  I've only been running for 5 or 6 months, I'm a rookie.  That is the crazy thing about getting into shape and getting healthy... it spreads.  It spreads like wildfire.  Once your friends and family see you doing it, they will join you.  All of a sudden you will have many partners to keep you moving!

So here is my challenge to you today.  Find your accountability partner to help you on your journey to becoming fit and healthy.  Use that person to motivate you and keep you moving.  Become the motivation to keep them moving as well.  You will be amazed at what you can accomplish when you team up with someone to achieve your goals!




Check out these 2 pictures of Lindsey and I!  I know she looks great in both, but notice how we look so much healthier and happier in the 2nd picture!  That is the power of an accountability partner!  I love you Lindsey, thanks for being there for me.

Michael


8/30/2003
After 7 wonderful years

No comments:

Post a Comment