Monday, September 13, 2010

100 Pounds GONE, and Never Coming Back


212.4 Pounds!!!  I sit here this morning in disbelief.  I started this journey just over 10 months ago.  On October 21st 2009, I weighed 313 pounds...  Sept. 11th 2010, I am at 212.4!  The journey seemed so long.  There were times when I was ready to give up.  There were weeks that I busted my ass and the scale moved in the wrong direction.  How many times did I fall to my knees and pray that God would give me the strength and courage to stick with it?

The funny thing is, in hind site, it now feels like this journey flew by.  It seems like just yesterday that I made the decision to change my life.  To take my life back and live it the way it was meant to be lived. I sit here just 10 short months later a new man.  I am now the husband that I was meant to be.  I am the role model that I want to be to my four little children.  I used to be so embarrassed of my weight and my appearance.  I didn't want my kids to grow up to be "heavy" like their dad.  I am now in the best shape of my life.  I am happier and healthier than ever.  I have the energy to play with my kids for hours on end.  To run and play ball with my boys.  To run a 1/2 marathon with my wife!

There are a few lessons I learned along the way that I want to share with you today.  These are things that helped me accomplish my goal...

1)  Stop making EXCUSES.

I don't except "I'm too busy".  I work 60-70 hours per week.  I leave for work at 6 am and don't get home until at least 7 pm.  I have 4 small children that I make a point to spend time with every day. Doesn't leave much time for exercise or working out, but I make it work.

I used to be the guy that "was just meant to be big".  "It's in my genetics".  Yeah, I used that one for years.  Please see before and after pictures... you are who you want to be.  If you want to be in shape, than do it.

"I'm getting too old".  "The weight won't come off as easy as it used to".  I'm 34 years old, I didn't think I could exercise like I used to.  Guess what?  I couldn't have run a 1/2 marathon when I was 18... I can now.  My brother is over 40 and has lost 65 pounds since beginning Advocare products and taking up running with me.  65 pounds since April!  Try telling him that he is too old!  He is back to his high school weight and feeling great!

I could go on forever with excuses that we impose on ourselves.  You know what yours are.  Write them down.  Look at them.  Let me know if those self-imposed excuses are worth living an unhealthy lifestyle.  They weren't for me.  I am living proof that you can battle through the excuses and reach your goals.

2) Make the DECISION!

It took me years to decide to change.  I wish now that I would have woken up sooner!  I convinced myself that there was nothing I could do.  I was destined to be big.  Destined to be out of shape.  Finally after seeing a friend of mine get into shape, it dawned on me... if he can do it, why can't I?  Even after seeing this friend and his accompishments, it took a couple months before I made the decision.  BUT, once I made the decision to change, that was it.  There was no turning back.  I was going to give it everything I had no matter what.  When you reach this point, the rest will follow.  For me, making the decision to change was the hardest part! Once you turn that corner, you realize that you can do it.  You keep putting one foot in front of the other and slowly and steadily you will create small accomplishments, this will motivate you to keep going.  There will be ups and downs along the way, but with goals in place and a clear vision of where you are headed, you will get there!  You will soon be where I am today.  Looking back, thinking "man, that went really fast!"  "Why did I wait so long to get started?"

3) Eat better!

I was one of those guys that drove through fast food almost everyday.  Even if I would bring my lunch, I would eat it in the morning and end up driving through McDonald's later in the day.  Seriously, do you know how bad that stuff is for you?  You can still eat.  Just make better decisions.  Take the time to figure out what works.  I still eat steak.  I still eat pizza (just not twice a week).  You can figure this out.  I did, and I'd be happy to share recipes and ideas with you.  Let me know if you want more info, but it starts with eliminating fast food, grease, and processed and pre-packaged foods.  Start with whole foods, fruit, veggies, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice... I could go on, but you get the picture.  No matter what you crave, there is a healthier alternative, find it and use it!

4)  MOVE

Figure out how you like to exercise and embrace it.  If you want to get started running like I did, then get out there and do it.  My first time out, I ran 4 blocks and nearly died just this past March.  I decided running would never be for me.  My friend talked me into giving it another shot.  After a couple more outings, I figured out that it does get easier.  I slowly increased distance.  Next thing I knew, I was running my first 5k.  Then I was addicted.  The rest is history.  Lindsey and I finished our second 1/2 Marathon on Saturday.  We are hooked.

5)  PRAY

I can't say enough about the power of prayer while working toward your goals.  I thank God daily for giving me the drive and desire to live a healthy lifestyle.  I thank God daily for giving me the strength and endurance to stick with it.  I really feel close to God while running.  There are many long runs that I would not have been able to finish without His help.  I praise God for helping me achieve steps along the journey to my goals.  I ask God to give me the words to help inspire others to follow in my footsteps, both physically and spiritually.  God loves you and wants what is best for you, don't be afraid to ask for His help.

6) Get Started!

I could go on with the tons of things that helped me achieve my weight loss and fitness goals, but I have tried to keep it short and sweet.  If you follow these steps you will achieve your goals.  I also can help with weight loss and energy via our amazing Advocare products.  I was able to accomplish great things with the help of the Advocare 24 Day Challenge!  It gave me the energy to keep moving.  It gave me the appetite control to avoid making poor food choices.  It filled in the gaps with nutrition, vitamins, amino acids, etc. to make sure my body was always prepared for my training and exercise.  I feel great while using these products, and I have dozens of friends and family that have seen amazing results from the products.  I will share more of these stories in coming days, but it really motivates me to see others having such great success!

I am at the end of my weight loss story, but stay tuned because I am just beginning my journey of toning up, getting ripped, and maintaining my weight and healthy lifestyle!  I'm not going anywhere.  I will be here to keep pushing you to get started.  I will be here to share my story and to help you write your own story.  My only question is this... What are you waiting for?  GET MOVING!!!

Michael

2 comments:

  1. Michael, I am SO proud of you. What a HUGE accomplishment! I know that took a lot of hard work and you are such an inspiration to so many people.

    ReplyDelete