Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Story

As we embark on a new year filled with endless possibilities and great hope, I think this is a good time to share my story of weight loss and working toward a healthier lifestyle.  Or at least the short version of it...

June 2009

November 2010




It all started in June 2009.  That was when Lindsey and I packed up and headed to Des Moines to visit some college friends.  I will come back and share some of the highlights in later blog posts, but what first got me thinking was when I saw my friend Don in Des Moines that weekend.  He had lost about 50 pounds and had started running.

I was certain that I wouldn't have the time or energy to do what Don had done.  After all, I worked 60 hours per week, and had a wife, 3 little kids and one on the way.  Where would I find time to exercise?

Although I often thought about my friend, and what he had been able to accomplish, it took me until October to decide that if Don can do it, doggone it, I can too!   That was my turning point.  That was the moment that my life changed forever.  The date was October 21st, 2009.  I was a 33 year old man that had lived far too many years overweight and unhealthy.  I was sick and tired of being the "big guy".  No longer was I going to accept my own excuses of why I couldn't get in shape.  I drew the line in the sand, and in all honesty, that was the hardest part of my journey.

It had taken years of disgust with my physical shape and appearance to finally get me to the breaking point.  I had had enough.  No more!  And so my journey began.  I called my friend to seek advice on how to follow in his footsteps.  I studied up on what he had done, and set the plans for my own destiny.  Like Don had done before me, I signed up for weight watchers online and began to eat better.  I started working out.  I ran on our elliptical machine (in short increments at first) and with time and effort I slowly started to lose weight.

In the spring of 2010, I tried to start running.  The only problem was, I couldn't get very far!  After only a couple of blocks, I wanted to curl up and die!  I called my friend again, and he told me to stick with it.  So I did.  He signed me up for my 1st 5k in March.  There was no way that I was ready for that, but he coached me through.  I had never experienced a rush of emotions like I felt when I ran through the finish line that day!  I was hooked.  Running became a big part of my life, and Lindsey's too!  We ran together, it was our time away from the kids and we really enjoyed it!

The problem I had was that even though we were running 3 or 4 days per week, after losing about 55 pounds, I hit a weight loss plateau in late May.  I couldn't understand it, I was still counting points (even though I was often hungry and lacking energy), eating healthy, and exercising more.  For over 2 months I battled that plateau.  I was stuck.  Even after running our first ever 1/2 marathon in June, I didn't lose a single pound!  I was getting frustrated, and on the verge of giving up.

That is when Advocare entered our lives!  How it all came to be is quite a story that I will come back to another day, but for now lets just say that God introduced us to Advocare at just the right time.  Like I said, I was on the verge of giving up.  I was frustrated.  It didn't make sense that we could work so hard, but that I couldn't lose any more weight.  Lindsey and I were skeptical at first, but decided to give the Advocare 24 Day Challenge a try.  We were blown away!  I lost 24 pounds and 16 inches in just 24 days!  I had more energy than ever in my life!  Running became easier and even more enjoyable!  So I continued on products and ended up losing 45 pounds in 2 months!  I was able to get to a weight that I hadn't seen since grade school!

All together I lost a total of 101 pounds!  I dropped from jean size 42 to 33!  My shirt size is now L.  It had been XXL or even 3XL.  No longer am I the "big guy".  I am in the best shape of my life, and I continue to improve.  I have been working out and lifting weights, and in doing so I have gained a few pounds.  But these pounds are muscle!

As you can see, I am extremely excited about the goals I have been able to accomplish.  I am thrilled that I was able to achieve results that I never thought were possible.  I am humbled that many friends and family have followed in my footsteps of eating better, moving more, and getting in shape.  This has become my purpose in life, my mission.  To help others achieve goals that they never thought were possible.  To change lives.  Because after all... If I can do it, anybody can do it!


Michael
www.teamliveitout.com

1 comment:

  1. I was google searching To see if adovcare actually works and I stumbled across this. This is exactly what I needed to read to get my head that I am now in the same boat you were in before you started running. Im very overweight, and work all the time. I have a kid on the way and have been talking to some kind folks about adovcare. Im starting up tomorrow and Will stat my 24 day challenge on Tuesday. Im exicted as ever because I use to love to run and play ball but now I get to winded to play. I cant wait to get back to the shape I was 5 years ago. Im 20 and I weigh 380lbs. My goal weight is 250 by this time next year. Pray for me. Your words helped me make my decision 100%. Thanks

    ReplyDelete