Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Proud Mama Moment

It amazes me each and every day how much our life has changed in the past two years. My husband has lost 100 pounds, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and our kids are watching every step that we make.

Macy started kindergarten this year and I made her (kicking and screaming for a while) take her own lunch to school. I felt that the school lunch menu was lacking nutritious options and if we were going to change our lifestyle at home, then why would I send her off to school where the rules didn't apply? This is a lifestyle change that our ENTIRE family is making and we are purposeful about what we put into our bodies now.

I'm not going to say it was easy....the first several weeks she only wanted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit snacks, granola bars, 100 calorie packs, etc. I don't typically keep those things in the house so she was left with PB&J and the occasional granola bar. I would beg her take an apple, an orange, some carrots. My sweet little strong-willed child would never oblige.

Here we are just five months later. I am grateful to say that my little Macy has changed her ways! I no longer have to supervise while she packs her lunches. I know that she is going to choose healthy foods from a variety of food groups. Check out the lunch that she packed herself Monday morning (before I was even out of bed!):



She packed a clementine, almonds, a hard boiled egg and mini rice cakes! Guess what the school option was? A corndog, chips, green beans and cherry cheescake! I'm pretty sure that Macy was the winner, winner chicken dinner when it came to having the healthier lunch option, don't you think? I am one PROUD Mama!

-Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment