Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What happened after your A-Ha Moment?

So that was it, right?  You had your A-Ha moment and started your journey toward losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle the next day?

Man, I wish.  Unfortunately, after the night that would eventually change my family's path and future, there was a whole lot of nothing.  The night that the light-bulb went off was in June of 2009, so one would think that my journey started right away.  That was not the case.

In fact, life happened.  Our weekend in Des Moines with the college friends came to a close.  All the inspiration and guidance on how to get in shape and lose the weight that I so desperately needed to lose was put on hold.  I drove the family back to Reinbeck.  We unpacked, got the kids ready for bed, cleaned the house and then crashed.  The next morning it was off to work and back to the grind.

Work, family, chores, bills to pay, work, play with the kids, work, work, work.  You get the idea.  Life happens.  Soon, our new baby Tade was born.  Then it was off to Okoboji for vacation, then I had another birthday, then before you knew it Fall had arrived, and I still did absolutely nothing with the vision that I had created back in June.  The vision for the path out.  The plan that would help me finally lose weight and get in shape.

I didn't protect it.  I didn't guard my dream.  Instead, I let life happen and knock my vision to the ground, at least temporarily.

Okoboji July 2009

My 33rd Birthday - August 2009

UNI Football Game - September 2009
Looking back, I can't help but get angry.  Angry at myself for not stepping up and getting after it.  How could I find the answer that I had seeked for years, and then let it fade into the darkness like it never happened.  I kick myself now.  I can't help but wonder what would have been if I'd have only started this journey sooner.

You see, what I know now is that my journey to losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle would influence others into doing the same thing.

"If we start working on ourselves, not only do we change, we can affect other people and help them change as well" - This is one of my favorite quotes.  It is from Charlie Ragus, founder of Advocare.

I didn't get it back then.  I understand it now.  And now that I understand it, I am more upset than ever that I didn't start this journey sooner.  All I can think about are the people that I may have impacted had I started a few months sooner... what if I missed an opportunity?  What if there is someone out there that I missed the chance to influence because I sat on my dream for 4 months?  I will never know.

BUT, what I do know is this.  I will not settle anymore.  My life is changed.  I understand the power of getting after it.  I made a vow to myself, that when I have an A-Ha moment, that I will act, and I will act quickly.  The only thing keeping me from my destiny was fear and excuses.  Fear and excuses would have left me trapped in the body that I once inhabited.  Fear and excuses would have kept me from influencing and helping to change other people's lives. 

So here is what I ask of you.  Act on your vision.  Protect your dream.  If you have an A-Ha moment, do something about it.  Write it down and stick it to your fridge.  Tape it to your mirror in the bathroom.  Don't lose focus.  Find a way or make a way!  And try to understand that it isn't only about you.  If you read this and are inspired to do something about your own fitness goals, then do it!  You never know how many other lives your decision will affect!


Michael
www.teamliveitout.com

No comments:

Post a Comment