Saturday, July 24, 2010

Curse you rain days

Being in the construction business, our work is quite often dependent upon the weather.  Yesterday was no exception.  My crew and I were unable to work due to the heavy rains, so I got caught up on some paperwork and then headed to the office to take care of a few things.  I was able to get home by mid-afternoon, and that is when I began slipping up!  I had been sticking to my meal plan so well during this challenge, but yesterday, I had a hunger that would not go away.

I grazed on mainly fruit, some veggies, then ended up eating a little bit of the kids left over sloppy-joe meat.  No big deal.  Then before heading off to a pre-school board meeting my wife made the kids some whole wheat spaghetti and garlic cheesy bread.  She said, here honey, could you feed this to the kiddos, I'll be home in a couple hours.  Damn.  I couldn't get away from this food that smelled and looked so delicious!  I divided it up between the kids, and tried to stay busy while they ate.  Next thing I know, they are all done and it is time to get things cleaned up!  There was about one small bowl of pasta left, so guess what happened?  Yeah, I couldn't resist.  Then on top of that I ate a piece of the cheesy garlic bread...  why must my cravings be so strong?

Ok, in the grand scheme of things, this was NOT a big deal!  It was however, a mental test that I felt like I failed. This leads me to a topic that I have learned on my journey to becoming healthy and fit.  It is imperative that I am DELIBERATE about what I eat.  I learned from the very beginning that if I didn't put thought and effort into every meal, that I would slip up.  There were a lot of days that I would rush off to work without packing a healthy lunch for myself and would end up getting  so hungry that I would eat whatever was convenient...which would often end up being something from drive-thru or a gas station.  Once I was able to figure this out, it made my weight loss much easier!  I now get up earlier in the mornings, make a point to pack a bunch of fresh veggies...carrots, radishes, celery, broccoli, etc; fresh fruit...apples, banana, orange, grapes, etc.; sometimes a salad with a side of fat free dressing; almonds (a new favorite); a couple hard boiled eggs;  and just lately Lindsey has found that some of the flavored rice cakes are really good...white cheddar and carmel flavor are my favorites!  A variety of these foods along with my Advocare Meal Replacement Shake, and some Spark Energy Drinks are more than enough to get me through the day, and then I always look forward to dinner at night!  Lindsey is so great at coming up with delicious and healthy dinner ideas, many of which come right out of our garden!  So good!

This is a crazy weekend for us and I am just packing up to go camping with my brother, nephew, and my 4 year old Drew.  I wish you all a wonderful and healthy weekend!  Try to get some exercise the fun way, maybe a bike ride, or walk or just run and play in the yard with the kiddos!  See you all soon.


Weigh in this morning:  240.0   =(                              Weight loss during Challenge:  15.8 pounds

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment