Monday, July 12, 2010

The Magic Pill

I recently received an email of concern from a good friend of mine.  He has been a reliable friend and a great resource throughout my weight loss journey.  His concern was that I didn't get hooked on a "magic pill" to manage my weight.  I am glad that this topic was brought up.  I think he has a valid point.  I don't want to mislead any of you into thinking that if you take the Advocare 24 Day Challenge that you will lose a ton of weight and keep it off for ever.  It needs to be clear that the 24 Day Challenge is a TOOL for use in losing weight and succeeding with fitness and weight loss goals.  The only true way to lose weight and maintain a healthy body is by changing your lifestyle!

If I lose a bunch of weight during the challenge, but then go out and eat fast food every day I will fail.  There is no pill that I can take that will save me from horrible eating and health habits!  I can not say it enough times - IT MUST BE A LIFESTYLE CHANGE!

A year ago when I was 70 pounds heavier than I am today, I had a whole different lifestyle.  I didn't worry about what I ate or how much I ate.  I was a guy that would heat up the leftover pizza for breakfast, have a few sodas, take a bunch of crackers and chips along with my lunch, or even worse drive through McDonald's for a Super-Sized Lunch.  I remember many days that I would hold off eating as long as I could during the work day thinking that I was doing myself a favor.  Then at 2 in the afternoon I would be so damn hungry that I would drive through Burger King or McDonald's and order twice as much as I would have at 11:30 or noon!  I just didn't know how to change, I was trapped in a vicious cycle.  I knew that I shouldn't eat so much crappy food, but I'd let myself get so hungry that I could no longer fight off the cravings.  I'd give in, eat what I knew I shouldn't, and then feel guilty and depressed about it.  I even remember days where I would take my own lunch, eat it during the morning and then eat a huge drive-through lunch late in the afternoon, and then come home to a wonderful home-cooked meal that my wife had prepared for us.  Even if I wasn't hungry, I'd eat with her rather than admit that I had already eaten the lunch that I took to work as well as driven through McDonald's and eaten another entire meal!

Thank God that I made the decision to change!  And to be honest, the hardest part was the decision to do something.  That meant that I had to actually believe that I COULD do something about my weight and my lifestyle.  Once I made that decision, I have never looked back.  I have had plenty of ups and downs, but I have kept fighting and I am winning!  I am not an expert, but I feel like there are a lot of things that I have learned along the way.  I will try to share as much of my knowledge as I can with all of your over the next 24 days.  If you find yourself in a similar situation as I was, please know that once you make the decision to change, the rest will fall into place!  I would be happy to work with you to help you attain your goals.  I would be happy to get you started on the 24 Day Challenge with me.  But - if you are looking for a "magic pill", please look elsewhere.  Like I've said, the 24 Day Challenge is a powerful tool to help you kick start your journey, or as in my case, smash through a frustrating plateau.  But if you don't make the decision to change your lifestyle, you will lose out on the long term benefits.

Wishing you all health and happiness!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment