Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My little man's birthday

I can't believe my little boy is one today!  Where does the time go?  As I sit here this morning surrounded by the streamers and balloons that Lindsey stayed up late to decorate our house with last night, I have this overwhelming feeling that I am really giving Tade something special for his 1st Birthday.  Don't get me wrong, he will be opening up some pretty cool gifts this evening that will no doubt have him clapping and smiling in that beautiful way that only he can.  But I truly believe the best gift that he is getting this year is his Dad.  His healthy and happy Dad.

When I think back to a year ago, I get a little emotional.  We were so happy!  Tade came into this world with a mommy and daddy that loved him so much, and an older sister and two older brothers that couldn't wait to meet him.  Lindsey had made "Team Roberts" jerseys for me and the kids that we wore with pride while walking around the birthing center and while meeting Tade for the first time.  It was truly a wonderful time!  But I can't help but think about how Tade's daddy has changed since then.  The daddy that Tade will be celebrating his 1st birthday with is not the same daddy that Tade met that first night.

To think about how I am influencing my children, how Lindsey and I are influencing our children brings a tear to my eye.  A year ago, when Tade was born, my kids would be hard pressed to get to go swimming because their Dad was embarrassed to take his shirt off.  A year ago, before going out to play, my kids would watch me lose my breathe just bending over to tie my shoes!  Let alone try to run around the yard and be silly with them. 

And to think about what Lindsey and I used to put into our bodies for food back then.  My how things have changed!  It has gone from processed easy meals that were horrible for us to fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, and so on.  I can't help but thank God for the changes that Lindsey and I have made, and for the difference it will make in my children's lives!

Just think what a foot up my kids are going to have growing up in a house and learning the importance of healthy eating and exercise!  It might be the best thing to come from our lifestyle change, even more than me losing weight, or being healthy.  To know that my children will grow up being taught the tools to live a healthy lifestyle makes any and all sacrifices that I have made to get here completely worth it!

And don't think my kids don't notice.  It has been a lot of fun around here the past 8 or 9 months!  My kids have been witness to their father getting up off the couch and going to workout and get in shape.  Lindsey called me up one day while I was working this past winter, she said honey you will not believe this, our kids are playing work out.  I said, what do you mean.  She told me that the kids were in the living room doing push-ups and lunges and told her that they wanted to work out just like Daddy!  Seriously, how powerful is that?  I literally have tears streaming down my face as I type this...to know that this is the kind of influence that I am being in my kids life!

Every time that I go to the closet and get out my running shoes, my 2 year old Levi comes up and says "Daddy, you go running?" in a way that only our little Levi could say it.  Let's just say when he gives me a hug and tells me to go running, it motivates me to get out on the street and get moving! 

I would ask that any of you reading this right now that have been putting off getting into shape, putting off changing your lifestyle to meet your weight and fitness goals, please follow in my footsteps.  I've said it so many times - If I can do it, I promise, you can do it too!  Please use my story to understand just what an impact it will make in your life.  Yeah, it's great that I've lost a bunch of weight and that I feel great, but that doesn't hold a candle to the fact that I am impacting my children's lives forever.  It is truly an amazing feeling knowing that I am being a good role model for my children and that what they learn from me will help them avoid some of the problems that I've been through.


Oh yeah, weigh in this morning - 243.0 pounds!  Weight loss to since starting the 24 Day Challenge = 12.8 pounds!  Now go out there and make your own stories!!!  I can't wait to hear them!


Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment