Thursday, July 8, 2010

Where I was, where I am, and where I'm going

As I discussed in an earlier post, before I started this journey of fitness and a healthier lifestyle I had hit a new low.  Don't get me wrong, I was very proud of my 4 beautiful children, and still madly in love with my beautiful wife.  But inside, I was struggling.  I was so discouraged with the physical state I had let myself fall into.  I felt depressed about my weight, guilty that I wasn't being a healthy role model to my children, and embarrassed to be seen with my shirt off.  I would try to wear baggy clothes to hide my size (yeah right!).  Luckily I hadn't had any health concerns yet, but being that overweight, it was just a matter of time!   It has taken me a long time to come to terms with just how unhappy I was.  I would never have told you then that I weighed 313 pounds.  I was as big as I'd ever been and needed a way out.


 Thank God for my friend Don's influence.  He inspired me to do something about it!  He coached me through changing my lifestyle and my eating habits and getting started on an exercise plan.  That gentle push was all I needed.  Once I began working out, eating better, and seeing results it just snowballed.  Once I started running this spring, it became an addiction.  It quickly spread.  My wife wanted to be a part of it.  She and 2 of her sisters began running with me.  My brother is now running with us.  It has been amazing seeing so many people getting excited about getting fit and getting into shape! It has truly inspired me to keep moving forward!

Lindsey and I found the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and decided that it is the next step in our fitness goals.  Before we began, we weighed in and took a whole bunch of measurements so that we can truly know how well the Challenge works.  I weighed in at 255.8 pounds before beginning.  My personal goal is to lose 15 pounds during the 24 Day Challenge.  I know that this is a lofty goal for such a short amount of time, but after reviewing the program and reading the testimonials of those who have gone before me - I am confident that if I stick with the program and not fall off course, that I CAN DO IT!!  I will continue my 3 days per week running schedule during the Challenge.  Lindsey and I are in the middle of a 1/2 marathon training schedule, so we are putting in around 15 miles per week.  I can't tell you how excited I am to finally bust through the plateau that I have been battling for the past 2 months.  I am confident that Advocare will be the tool to help me achieve my goals!

By the end of the year I fully intend on getting my weight to 213 pounds.  Yeah, you heard it.  I plan to lose another 40 pounds!  I will ultimately lose 100 pounds during the journey that I'm on!  This will not be easy, but I have confidence that it can be done.  I challenge you to follow in my footsteps and start on the path of attaining your fitness goals!  Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

Michael

1 comment:

  1. You ROCK and I'm so proud of all of your accomplishments this past nine months! I love you for inspiring me to run and be healthy and I love you for being such a wonderful role model for our children!
    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete