Sunday, July 11, 2010

That was TOUGH!!!

Ok, so I've always feared the weekends while trying to lose weight and get in shape.   Yesterday was no exception.  Lindsey, the kids and I headed to Dubuque for a going away celebration for her cousin Jon.  Jon is leaving for a tour in Afghanistan is a few weeks, so his wife Amanda hosted a great party for their family and friends.

Lindsey and I thought we were really going to make it easy when we packed a cooler full of bottled waters, Spark energy drinks, grapes, apples, almonds, blueberries and even a fresh lettuce salad from our garden to take along.  Wow were we kidding ourselves!  Once we got to the party we mingled and talked to family and friends, then it was time to head to the garage where Amanda had the food set up for the party.  Lindsey and I each helped fix plates for our kids.  I couldn't help but notice my wife's face as she prepared a plate for our little boy.  I seriously thought she might cry a little... there were all of her favorites right there under our nose!  Vegetable pizza, her mom's chex mix, fruit pizza, and her all-time favorite - carmel puff corn!  Don't think I'm picking on my wife here, because I was in the same trouble, except I was drooling over the turkey & stuffing sandwiches, the wide array of breads and chips with dips of all kinds, and the dessert table with cupcakes, cookies, cheese cake, and a delicious looking reese's peanut butter cup trifle!!!

I couldn't get out of the garage quick enough!  We fixed the kids' plates and headed out to the yard with the rest of the party.  That is when it got really tough.  As we sat down and got the kids started I couldn't help but notice all of the delicious adult beverages being consumed by our friends and family!  It was a warm sunny afternoon and it was killing me to see all of those ice cold bud lights, busch lights, and mike's hard lemonades.  I swear those darn bottles were taunting me!  Every time someone would grab another cold one out of the cooler I couldn't help but notice how the ice cubes would slide down the side of the bottle ever so slowly until falling to the ground and the bottle would be wet from sweat in the afternoon heat making me crave the ice cold deliciousness that was inside.  I was really suffering!

So I bucked up and headed back to the garage, loaded up a plate with fresh vegetables and fruits (thank God someone brought these healthy alternatives), grabbed a bottled water out of the cooler and headed back to the table.  I'm not going to lie and tell you that all of my cravings disappeared, but I can tell you the plate full of healthy food and a couple bottles of water helped me make it through! 

After all, Lindsey and I made a promise to each other to stick to the 24 Day Challenge!  We want to see the full potential of the program, so we made a pact to follow the plan strictly.   Typically we would indulge from time to time, but for the next 24 days, we will try our best to not fall off course.

I've learned through the process of losing weight that you really have to let yourself enjoy some of these temptations from time to time.  I'm a firm believer that each of us has to make our weight loss and fitness goals a lifestyle, not a diet.  If we find a happy balance, we will be able to live our lives eating healthier and staying fit.  I lived for years with that guilty feeling that if I ate one more piece of pizza or cake, that I was destined to be fat, bound to fail.  That horrible feeling would make me depressed, and make me want to eat even more.  It was a vicious cycle.  What I know now that has helped me break free from those chains is this...  IF I OVER DO IT AND EAT TOO MUCH PIZZA, OR CAKE, OR DRINK A FEW TOO MANY BEERS, I AM NOT BOUND TO FAIL, I AM NOT DESTINED TO BE FAT THE REST OF MY LIFE!  All it means is that I'm human and that I indulged a little.  The following day I will get right back on track, and continue with my exercise and running, and not let that feeling of guilt slip in to my head and knock me off course.

I'm sure you have all been there.  I don't think I'm the only one that has felt this way.  My hope for today is that everyone of you might find the peace that I have found.  The peace and understanding that this is a lifestyle change.  The understanding that one or two days of over-indulgence will not knock you off course from your weight loss and fitness goals!

Oh, and by the way.  My obedience to the plan has paid off!  I stepped on the scale this morning before getting ready for Church, and I was down to 243.8 pounds!!!  It appears that my suffering yesterday was worth it, because I was able to lose another 2.2 pounds bringing my total weight loss during the Challenge to 12 pounds!!!

Michael

4 comments:

  1. Just want you guys to know that I'm following this journey. You are both AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jen! It was great to see you and your awesome family over the 4th! It was so fun to run the 5k with all of you!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm concerned... does this mean no more corn dip or scotcharoos?????? :) You both have WAY more will-power than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read post entitled "Magic Pill". We WILL be partaking in the usual McCarter/Roberts food traditions as usual. There will be no scotcheroo or corn dip deprivation here!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete