Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sprint toward the finish

Here I am, already on day 21.  Tuesday morning and this 24 Day Challenge is over on Friday already!  I really didn't think it would go this quickly.  I really didn't think I could have this kind of success.  My original goal had been 15 pounds, but as of this morning I am sitting at 17.2 pounds lost.  My scale showed me 238.6 this morning.  At first I was upset, I'm up a little since yesterday, but then I thought a little harder about the good things that have come from this Challenge.  1st off, I've lost 17.2 pounds in less than 21 days!  I am feeling much healthier and thinner than I did just 3 weeks ago.  I haven't had a single soda in 22 days!  That is huge...I had been consuming 5 to 6 diet mountain dews per day.  Now I have 3 SPARK Energy Drinks and a bunch of water every day and feel great because of it!  My diet has changed a little, maybe less for me than for some, since I've been on this journey for about 9 months and eating healthier has been a big part of my success. But there are some changes that I thought would be hard, but have turned out to be no big deal.  No dairy, no bread or crackers (I've cheated a couple times), no alcohol (I'm looking forward to some cold ones this weekend, but just a few), and I have been replacing breakfast with the meal replacement shakes.  These things are very good, and help keep me feeling full and are packed with protein and vitamins.

Of all the things that have come from this 24 Day Challenge, the most significant without a doubt is the fact that Lindsey and I have been able to affect other people's lives.  I can not tell you how humbling it is to hear from friends and family that we have inspired to take steps towards their personal weight loss and fitness goals.  I have struggled for years with weight and self image issues.  I finally found my way out.  I am now the healthy person that I have always wanted to be.  To think that by sharing my story can help others overcome their personal weight or health issues is very powerful.  I feel so BLESSED to be able to share my story, to help someone else find a way to a healthier lifestyle.  To be honest, knowing that there are people following my path, taking steps toward their own fitness and health goals is what keeps me going!

There will always be hurdles in the path to living healthy, just like this morning.  I had tried so hard since yesterday to keep my momentum going and to lose a little more weight, but the scale told me that I'd gained .8 pounds!  Why?  How can it be?  Well, what I've learned is that this will happen, and I just need to keep on doing what I've been doing.  Hopefully tomorrow I will be happier with the results.  But what I know is this, I am better for having eaten healthy and for exercising.  I know that I'm being the role model that my kids need me to be.  I know that I am getting closer to my goals.  There isn't a thing that damn scale can do about it!  I will not stumble because of one bad day.  I plan to give these last few days everything I've got.  My original goal was to lose 15 pounds, well forget about that, I want 20!  I will stick to the Challenge.  I will not "cheat" the next few days.  I can do this!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment